Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Around the Road


On Monday I went around the mountain to a friend's house to do some quilting.  This quilt has been in the works as a gift for a member of our community for an embarrassingly long time and I was happy to help.


That's the lower part of our farm seen from across the hard road and up a bit. . .


And this is down the road a bit . . .


The road around the mountain is quiet and curving . . .


Appropriately enough, my friend's barn is decorated with a quilt square.

There were three of us there to work on the quilt and we got a good bit done. My quilting skills, such as they ever were, have deteriorated badly for lack of practice but it was a pleasant day, catching up with news. Can one of our long time friends, a woman I met when she was pregnant with her first child, actually be a great grandmother? Good grief!

I was the first to leave as my back was starting with that ominous twinge it gets nowadays  . . . 

One never wants to leave a quilting party because you know that then you'll be the topic of conversation. I imagine my friends  noting how much older I seemed and how hard of hearing . . .

I just hope they did't look at my quilting stitches.


11 comments:

Victoria said...

I think John Denver must never have seen North Carolina in the spring of the year or he would have written a song about it. Such green!

I know what you mean about getting older and twinges in the back...and the knees...and well, just about everywhere. Old age is definitely no place for sissies.

Ms. A said...

Beautiful views of the place! I sure miss seeing views like that!

Great quilt, the colors look happy!

Kath said...

What a wonderful part of your life. The quilt is gorgeous. As gorgeous as your part of the world!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

You've made me want to learn to quilt Vicki.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I be they might have said how good it was to see you! wonderful story and pics! i love seeing your little corner of the world! twibges akk around the lower part of my body, getting lamer all the time, but Bette Davis was certainly right, and we ain't no sissies, right?

Deana the queena

Barbara Rogers said...

What a gorgeous quilt. The farm and road photos put it, and your environment, into a new perspective for me, which I appreciate. Keep on doing whatever you can, that's my goal each day, each hour.

Frances said...

Vicki, thank you for letting us see the views from around the mountain, on such a beautiful day.

What a grand idea to have several experienced quilters get together to create a beautiful, meaningful quilt for a friend. The design and colors of the quilt are so well chosen. I'm sure all the stitching is also of a very high standard.

Glad that you were wise enough to respect that twinge, and to save for back for another day.

xo

Anonymous said...

I have been working on a quilt with some mutual friends (although you and I have not met). What a joy it has been. Cannot wait to get it in the frame when we can all sit around it. Thanks for the story and pictures....how I love living in this little corner of the world!

Jime said...

"Hills of home" you record so beautifully.

jennyfreckles said...

What a lot of work goes into those beautiful quilts. I'm assuming they are hand-sewn, from what you have written.

Juliet said...

What a wonderful tradition quilting is. The quilt is beautiful & it must be so companionable to work on it together. I'm finishing one for my granddaughter right now. It's already 8 months late, & keeps going on & on. But it's fun to see it come together finally.