Friday, November 21, 2014

Queen for a Day


 Yesterday I received a crown. From our new dentist. Our longtime dentist, Doc Adams, has retired and his successor (AKA the kid) has installed some fancy new equipment.

This dental procedure involves a LOT of stuff in your mouth -- and a goodly time lying back, feet elevated, trying to stay calm while lots of things happen -- but your mouth is numb and you don't feel it. Your main job is to stay calm and breathe through your nose while the broken tooth is prepped to receive the crown and  innumerable pictures are taken and sent to the computer.

After which -- and this is the amazing part -- the computer sends the 3-D images to a milling machine in another room and this machine takes a little block of dental ceramic material and carves it to fit your tooth exactly.  All untouched by human hands.

The new crown is set in place and checked for fit, after which it's put in a kiln for about a half an hour. Then it's glued in place. Done. The whole process took less than two hours as opposed to two visits when the crown was fashioned in a laboratory somewhere else. 


I remember overhearing (another) old lady tell a friend that she'd been to the dentist and he'd fixed her teeth with his commuter.

Me too!

You can read about the whole process and see pictures of it HERE


9 comments:

Ms. A said...

Wow! Last time I got one it took two visits! Technology has advanced since then! Bet there was a royal cost involved with that crown. I remember being a pauper afterward.

Barbara Rogers said...

All hail Queen Vicki...with a beautiful smile and chompers that will last. My crowns have outlasted my regular teeth! S0 far anyway.

Thérèse said...

I can only say "wow!"

NCmountainwoman said...

Heck, I'm still impressed with the digital x-rays that pop up on the computer screen immediately. I had no idea that "crowns while you wait" are available.

Kath said...

WOW is the word. I wish my dentist had your 'kid's' technology!
And what wonderful photos!

Frances said...

Jeepers Vicki, my big city dentist still has crowns made the old fashioned way.

Hoping your new dental equipment serves you well for many years.

xo

Jime said...

I never know what your next subject will be. How interesting. I have a mouth full of crowns the old fashion way. With drone technology the next move is to have miniature robotics put the crown in your mouth. Giving you a subtle feel good drug and goggles showing you a first run movie. Just give your credit card a swipe in the built in reader and watch it melt.

Deanna said...

Our dentist has gone high tec too. The weird thing is that he's located in a little town with a population of less than 1000. People drive from all around to go to him.

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

"been to the dentist and he'd fixed her teeth with his commuter" reminded me that my mother always referred to her "radio" tires. I never corrected her. Jim