Friday, July 18, 2014

The Narrow Fellow



I was out back planting a hosta when this narrow fellow (as Emily Dickinson called a snake in one of her poems) came from somewhere below the house, and climbed onto the rock wall. I hurried inside to get my camera  . . .

He seemed to have a mission and slid quickly along the wall . . .


He (or she) is a black rat snake, close to six feet long. We are happy to have these critters around to deal with rodents . . . but would prefer they stayed out of the chicken house. (They are fond of eggs too.)  

Completely ignoring the paparazzi, snake keeps going. . .


A beautiful blue tinge to the black . . .


Almost at the other end of the house now, I decide that snake is probably heading for the green house. We often find shed snakeskins in there.  

A snake with a plan . . .


Just keep going . . . 

Turn left at the gate . . .
Ooze down . . .


A quick slide across the grass and there's the greenhouse . . .


I'd weeded this bed just the day before and while I really like these snakes, I prefer not to put an unsuspecting hand on one. . .


Where is snake? There on the window sill, looking for a way in . . .


And, thanks to a tear in the screen, snake is in. . .


The greenhouse is mostly empty of plants now . . .


Sometimes these snakes twine themselves through the trellis/shelf to remove their old skins . . . 

But this snake has something else in mind . . .

Into a hole in the wall he goes. It's probably a mouse hole and I expect that snake will wreak havoc among the mice.


I just need to remind John to keep the door that leads from his computer room to the greenhouse closed.


8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ha. what a shock that would be while surfing the net...oh my...he was probably just out celebrating...wednesday was world snake day....

Barbara Rogers said...

But of course, the camera catching all that snake adventure was the first thing to do, Vicki! Then give John his fair warning. Yay Brian, letting me know I missed world snake day. It's very possible...

Novice Naturalist said...

Love snakes--especially long sleek black snakes. Could this perhaps be an Eastern Indigo? Oh, love them though I do, I don't want to be surprised by one when I reach down to turn on water faucet and other such snaky places.

Kath said...

Love this handsome Narrow Fellow!!! And thank you for following him. What a wonderful journey. If he has relatives who'd like to travel a little north into KY, we have a plethora of field mice who think we are some kind of Holiday Inn. And a cat who thinks he lives in a spa or cat retirement home. Sigh

Anonymous said...

Hisssssssssssssssssssss!

Deana the Queena

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

You got the identification right. Those keeled scales are the give away. :-)

Victoria said...

What a beautiful snake. I love snakes (except the venomous ones) but I wouldn't want to put my hand on one unexpectedly either!

Darla said...

Thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed following the snake on its mission! :-) He/She was quite beautiful.